- What is Moment?
Moment is a mindfulness education program for middle school students funded by the Institute of Education Sciences (IES) in the U.S. Department of Education with the purpose of improving academic achievement.
- What have been positive outcomes for students who have participated in the Moment program?
- Findings from small randomized controlled trial revealed that students who participated in the Moment program in comparison to students in wait-list control classrooms experienced both positive academic and health outcomes:
- Increase students' ability to pay attention and concentrate
- Reduce disruptive classroom behavior
- Improve overall academic achievement
What is the Moment program?
- Teach healthy and effective coping strategies
- Reduce aggressive behaviors
- Reduce social problems with peers
What is included in the program?
- 4 weeks – 5 days/week
- 15 minutes/day
- Lessons led by classroom teacher
- Topics: Four foundations of Mindfulness including: Awareness of body, feelings, thoughts, and relationships
- Skills: mindful meditation, mindful movement, breathing techniques, and application of skills to everyday life
The curriculum kit contains:
How does this program correspond with the Standard Course of Study?
- Moment Teacher Manual
- 30 Student Workbooks (1 for each student)
- Multimedia USB drive that includes audio, videos, and images for each lesson
- Website for teachers and students to access audio, videos, and images from lessons
The goals of the program are aligned with the Common Core State Standards (Language Arts).
How easy is it to implement this program?
Very easy after training! Materials were designed to be attractive, easy to use, comprehensive, and minimize the time spent in teacher preparation.
Is there any accompanying training or certification for teachers of this program?
Yes. There is an interactive, one day, in-person training for teachers of the program. It is not included in the curriculum kit, but can be purchased separately and covers the research and rationale behind the program as well as training in how to implement it. A web-based certification test is also available for teachers after they complete the training. Please contact Drs. Kupersmidt or Parker to schedule a training workshop for your organization.
Can iRT help organizations with writing a grant proposal to obtain funding to deliver or evaluate this program?
Yes. iRT can contract with a school, organization, or community coalition to assist in writing a grant proposal to apply for funding to implement and/or evaluate this program. We would welcome this opportunity to assist you. Please contact Dr. Kupersmidt or Dr. Parker, if you are interested in discussing this assistance.
Who developed this program?
The Moment program was developed by innovation Research and Training with funding from the Institute of Education Sciences (IES) in the U.S. Department of Education.