- Alcohol and tobacco prevention with parents, caregivers and their children integrated into the excitement of hands-on media literacy activities
- Easy implementation for teachers
- Based on state-of-the-art scientific research and theory on media literacy education and effective substance abuse prevention approaches
- Teaches media literacy and media mediation skills to parents
- Reinforces students' media literacy skills
- Helps encourage parental involvement in their children's education both inside and outside of school
- Grades 3-5
- 1 in-person session plus take-home notebook
- Approximately 1.5-2 hours
- Media Detective Family Night Teacher Manual
- Multimedia presentation
- Casework Materials:
- Family Detective Notebooks
- Stickers for parent-child teams
- Activity Cards
- Media Detective Family Night magnets (optional)
Families team up as Media Detectives to solve mysteries about the media in a series of cases. Students will be able to demonstrate their knowledge of the five Media Detective
clues by coaching their families through the interactive activities involved in each case.
Student Media Advocacy Presentation:
Families have the opportunity to view the student media advocacy projects that were created during the MD
lessons. Families will also be asked to deconstruct the original ads with their children and discuss their child’s counter-ads.
Group Practice of Skills:
At the end of the program, the teacher will gather all of the families together for group practice. Together, they will review the five MD
clues; deconstruct an alcohol commercial; and discuss media advocacy opportunities.